Summer Beer Tasting (New England Beer Vacation Part 2)
Posted by BoaBeerBlog on August 6, 2009
As I searched the shelves and coolers at Colonial Spirits in Acton, MA, I had one thing in mind: Summer Beer.
What is summer beer? It’s not a formal style – a summer beer could be a Kölsch, Lager, or Wheat, among other styles. Summer beers do have common traits: crisp, refreshing, golden, light-bodied, thirst-quenching, clean-finishing, and highly drinkable.
I looked for as many regionally brewed summer seasonals as I could find.
My summer beer tasting on July 26 included (pictured from left to right):
- Geary’s Summer Ale, a German Kölsch from D.L. Geary Brewing Company, Portland, ME
- Hop Sun Summer Wheat Beer, Southern Tier Brewing Company, Lakewood, NY
- Über Sun, an Imperial Summer Wheat Ale from Southern Tier (8%)
- Summer of Lager, Cisco Brewers, Nantucket, MA
- Summer Ale, an American Wheat Beer from Shipyard Brewing Company, Portland, ME
- Summer Ale, an American Wheat Beer from Wachusett Brewing Company, Westminster, MA
It would be hard to pick a favorite from the beer tasting, but I really enjoyed the Hop Sun and his bigger brother, Über Sun.
I picked up a lot of other great beer from Colonial Spirits that I enjoyed throughout the vacation:
- Blueberry Wheat, Sea Dog Brewing Company, Portland, ME (Beth’s personal favorite)
- UFO White, Harpoon Brewery, Boston, MA
- Raspberry Wheat, Opa Opa Brewing Company, Southampton, MA (in a growler)
In addition, I bought a Summer Survival 12-Pack from one of my favorite New England regional breweries, Long Trail Brewing Company, Bridgewater, VT. The 12-Pack included:
- Long Trail Ale
- Belgian White
- Blackberry Wheat
Finally, I’ll note some great beers I enjoyed on draft while out at restaurants during my vacation:
- Long Trail Double IPA, an excellent, hoppy brew (8.6%)
- Big Bohemian Pilsner, from the Harpoon Leviathan Series (9%)
- Summer Wheat, Buzzards Bay Brewing Company, Westport, MA
- Fisherman’s Brew, an amber lager from Cape Ann Brewing Company, Gloucester, MA
My favorite part of traveling is drinking the local beer!