2013 is off to a great start for the Boa Beer Blog – I’ve already visited five breweries, two brewpubs, and one beer bar. And I’ve also been sampling great beer at home, with a parade of six-packs marching through during the first seven weeks of 2013. Here they come now…
Posts Tagged ‘Brooklyn Brewery’
Posted by BoaBeerBlog on February 19, 2013
Posted in From the Beer Store | Tagged: Boston Beer Company, Brooklyn Brewery, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Elysian Brewing, Fordham Brewing Company, Harpoon Brewery, Lagunitas Brewing Company, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Redhook Brewery, Sam Adams, Thomas Hooker Brewing Company, Washington | Leave a Comment »
Posted by BoaBeerBlog on December 17, 2009
I’ve been so busy sampling the winter beers that I haven’t had much time to post to the blog. So this post will be a quick catch-up to capture and categorize all those winter releases that I’ve tried over the past couple of weeks. I’ve got three categories: Go Buy It Today, Worth a Try, and Leave it on the Shelf:
Go Buy it Today
- Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (CA) [pictured], an excellent IPA and my favorite winter seasonal. I never buy beer by the case, opting instead to mix a case of different six packs for some variety. But I just picked up a whole case of this brew, on sale at Magruder’s. If you love the Sierra Pale Ale and Torpedo Extra IPA, you will love this beer too. It’s drinkable enough for a session beer, but at 6.8% ABV, be careful.
- The Mad Elf, Tröegs Brewing Company (PA) [pictured], a strong winter release from one of my favorite Pennsylvania breweries. This is a unique beer…a ruby red ale brewed with honey and cherries that clocks in at 11% ABV. Don’t mind the $13.99 for a six pack price tag – it’s worth it!
- Christmas Ale, Anchor Brewing Company (CA), every year since 1975 the brewers at Anchor have brewed a distinctive and unique Christmas Ale. The recipe of this longtime American holiday ale is different every year. Always excellent and suitable for cellering, though I can never resist the temptation to drink them all right away.
Worth a Try
- Snow Cap Ale, Pyramid Breweries (WA), brewed in the spirit of British Winter Ales
- Baltic Porter, Old Dominion Brewing Company (DE), a dark, rich, and tasty Porter
- Winter Ale, Brooklyn Brewery (NY), an excellent Scotch Ale
- Raspberry Brown Winter Ale, Otter Creek Brewing Company (VT), a tasty winter fruit beer
- The Gift, Starr Hill Brewery (VA), a “WinterBock Lager”
- Never Summer, Boulder Brewing Company (CO), an English Strong Ale
- Cabin Fever, New Holland Brewing Company (MI), a strong Brown Ale
- Winter Ale, Weyerbacher Brewing Company (PA), an English Strong Ale
- Winter Warmer, Harpoon Brewing Company (MA), a spicy and delicious winter brew
- Winter Ale, Smuttynose Brewing Company (NH), a Belgian Abbey Double
- Winter Ale, Stoudts Brewing Company (PA), an Amber Ale
- Imperial IPA, Mendocino Brewing Company (CA), a robust 7.5% IPA
- Yakima Twilight Ale, Victory Brewing Company (PA), a beautiful and tasty American Strong Ale
- Old Jubilation Ale, Avery Brewing Company (CO), an English Strong Ale, 8%
- Hibernation Ale, Great Divide Brewing Company (CO), an English Style Old Ale
Leave it on the Shelf
- Hell, they’re all at least worth a try!
I picked up many of these beers as singles at Chevy Chase Wine and Spirits on Connecticut Avenue near Chevy Chase Circle or Total Wine in Mclean. I love beer stores that sell singles!
Posted in From the Beer Store, Winter Brews | Tagged: Anchor Brewing Company, Avery Brewing, Boulder Beer Company, Brooklyn Brewery, California, Colorado, Delaware, Great Divide Brewing Company, Harpoon Brewery, Massachusetts, Mendocino Brewing Company, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Holland Brewing Company, New York, Old Dominion Brewing Company, Otter Creek Brewing Company, Pennsylvania, Pyramid Breweries, Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Smuttynose Brewing Company, Starr Hill Brewery, Stoudts Brewing Company, Troegs Brewing Company, Vermont, Victory Brewing Company, Virginia, Washington, Weyerbacher Brewing Company | 2 Comments »