I read on the Chevy Chase Wine and Spirits web site that they were having a Dogfish Head beer tasting, so I stopped at this awesome beer store on my way home from work (September 25). A friendly and helpful Dogfish Head Brewery representative was on hand to pour samples. I sampled five beers (descriptions from Dogfish.com):
- Punkin Ale, a full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar
- Indian Brown Ale, a cross between a Scotch Ale, an India Pale Ale, and an American Brown
- Raison D’Etre, a deep mahogany ale brewed with beet sugar, green raisins, and Belgian-style yeast
- 60 Minute IPA, a session IPA brewed with a slew of great NorthWest hops. A powerful, but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character.
- 90 Minute IPA, an Imperial IPA…a big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.
Dogfish Head is one of my favorite breweries, and I loved all of these beers. The brewery rep told me that he does a blind taste-testing of pumpkin ales each fall and Punkin Ale always comes out on top. I don’t usually go for pumpkin beer but the Punkin is really smooth and the spices are not too over-powering. The 90 Minute IPA is one of my favorite beers of all time but it’s definitely not a session beer, clocking in at 9% ABV and 90 IBU.
All of the Dogfish Head brews were on sale and the brewery rep was offering a free Dogfish Head pint glass if you bought two four- or six-packs. So I bought a four-pack of the Punkin Ale and a four-pack of the 90 Minute IPA. Whatever happened to six-packs!?