The Saranac 12 Beers of Winter mix pack is one of my favorite holiday traditions, dating back to at least 2001 (according to my beer database, which I started in 2001). The line-up of beers changes every year and the 2009 line-up included four new beers and two encores:
- Saranac Maple Porter, a robust, flavorful Porter
- Saranac Belgian Style Ale, a tasty ale brewed with Belgian malt and yeast
- Saranac Winter Lager, an amber German Lager (new)
- Saranac Black Lager, a black German Schwarzbier (new)
- Saranac Rye IPA, an IPA brewed with rye malt (new)
- Saranac Big Moose Ale, an American Pale Ale (new)
The Matt Brewing Company in Utica, New York brews the Saranac line of beers. I was glad to find the 12 Beers of Winter at Chevy Chase Wine and Spirits in Washington, D.C. the weekend of December 19.