One of my family’s favorite Christmastime traditions is going to dinner at the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Gaithersburg, Maryland followed by a leisurely drive through the Winter Lights at Seneca Creek State Park. We drove to Gaithersburg for this winter tradition on December 17.
I love all of the Dogfish Head brews, so I ordered the sampler, which came with six beers:
- Shelter Pale Ale, a quaffable Pale Ale
- Chicory Stout, a rich dark Stout
- 60 Minute IPA, an East Coast IPA with a citrus hop character
- Indian Brown Ale, “a cross between a Scotch Ale, an IPA, and an American Brown”
- Raison D’Etre, a mahogany ale brewed with beet sugar, green raisins, and Belgian yeast
- 90 Minute IPA, one of my favorite beers – a strong IPA that clocks in at 90 IBU and 9% ABV
The Dogfish Head beers were excellent (of course), and the food and service were outstanding too. We’ve been finding a December evening for this outing for the past couple of years and this year we were glad to be joined by Javier, Maryellen, and Christian (thanks again for dinner, Javier!). Seneca Creek State Park is just five minutes from the Alehouse, and we all really enjoyed the fun and festive Christmas light show, especially the kids!