Our annual Memorial Day Weekend camping trip found us at Point Lookout State Park in southern Maryland. I love this campground because of the crabbing pier and…the beer! Ruddy Duck Brewery and Grill in Solomons, Maryland is a short drive from the campground and a must-do whenever we camp at Point Lookout.
We arrived for an early dinner on Sunday, May 30, and were welcomed with attentive service. I ordered the sampler, which included (from right to left in the photo):
- Belgium Dubbel (8.3%), a delicious strong Belgian beer with sweet maltiness
- Scottish Ale (5.2%), described as a dry and roasty Amber Ale with a touch of caramel
- IPA (7.2%), a strong IPA hopped with Amarillo, Centennial, and Liberty hops
- Pale Ale (5.2%), a light and fruity American-style Pale Ale
- Irish Stout (5.0%), a dark stout with a roasted lingering finish
- Tripel (8.7%), a Strong Golden Ale with a hint of spring flowers
Beer descriptions are courtesy of the Duck. My favorite beer of the sampler was the IPA, and I ordered a separate pint of this crisp, hoppy brew to enjoy with my meal.
The food is excellent at the Ruddy Duck, as the menu is not limited to your run-of-the-mill pub grub (not that there’s anything wrong with pub grub!). The standard dish is presented with a twist, like the Duck’s version of a Hawaiin pizza, called the Wowwie Mauie. This pizza is topped with prosciutto, sweet Maui onions, pineapple, and bleu cheese. The combination of great food and great beer make this brewery restaurant worth a visit.