Continuing my Winter 2013-14 DC Brew Tour…
Part 11: Mad Fox Brewing Company, Falls Church, Virginia
When Visited: February 15, 2014
Occasion: To dispel the dullness of yet another dreary winter Saturday, I planned a beer outing with a friend. There are a lot of options in the DMV, but we settled on lunch at Mad Fox for its upscale pub food, long menu of house-brewed beers, and growlers to-go.
Beers Sampled: Mad Fox offers a build-your-own 4-beer sampler rack, and since I had two growlers to fill and didn’t know what I wanted to take home, I sampled two racks.
- Sandy Eggo IPA, an amazing hoppy West Coast-style IPA (7.9%)
- Dingo IPA, an easy-drinking American-style IPA (5.4%)
- Broad Street IPA, a strong American-style IPA brewed and dry-hopped with Centennial hops (7.3%)
- Headcracker Barleywine, an English-style golden Barleywine (8.0%)
- Slobberknocker Barleywine, a bold and hoppy American-style Barleywine (9.0%)
- Wee Heavy, a strong Scotch Ale (8.6%)
- Crazy Ivan Russian Imperial Stout, a rich, dark Stout perfect for a cold winter day (9.0%)
- Snowquester, an English-style Winter Warmer brewed in collaboration with Meridian Pint (6.0%)
I Filled my Growlers with: The strong Wee Heavy and the light Kellerbier Kölsch, an award-winning unfiltered Kölsch (4.4%).
I enjoyed spending a Saturday afternoon at Mad Fox, but Tuesdays are even better, when Mad Fox offers 1/2 price growler fills on all their craft beers on tap.