Another entry for my beer travelogue…
BOSTON, Massachusetts, May 2016 — On a recent quick business trip to Boston, I made a return visit to one of my favorite brewpubs – Boston Beer Works on Brookline Avenue across from Fenway Park. It had been almost four years since my last visit, and it was just as outstanding as I remember.
I was in Boston for just one night. After landing in the early afternoon, I worked for several hours in my hotel room and then worked out in the hotel gym. I rewarded myself with a 1.5 mile walk from my hotel to the brewpub. Damn, was I thirsty and hungry when I got there!
Beers Sampled: I love Boston Beer Works because the beer menu is huge! There were 18 house beers on tap, and enough IPAs to build a four-beer IPA flight!
- Equinox Double IPA (8.4%)
- Big Boy IPA, another Double IPA (8.0%)
- Contender IPA (6.5%)
- Tropical Mango IPA, brewed with Mango puree (6.5%)
I sat at the bar, and with the Orioles game on one TV and the NHL playoffs on another, I was set for a while, so it was on to flight #2:
- Bunker Hill Blueberry Ale (4.4%)
- Chico Wit (5.2%)
- Back Bay IPA, the Beer Works’ flagship IPA (6.8%)
- Quelle Horreur Belgian IPA, described as Belgian Wit meets American IPA (6.8%)
I ended my night with a pint of Redeemer, an Imperial Red Ale (8.2%).
Favorite Beer: Contender IPA, an unfiltered IPA with a big, juicy hop character. I had wanted to end my might with a pint, but the last keg kicked just as the bartender was pouring mine. Lucky for me he was cool enough to comp me the half-pint he got in my glass before it ran out!
I was most impressed with: I love the beer at Boston Beer Works, but I have to give a shout out to the food. The menu is a pub grub lover’s dream! They make it way too hard to decide what to order because there are so many tempting dishes on the menu. I started with the Buffalo Shrimp and then had a Fried Haddock Sandwich with a side of fiery fries.
And oh by the way: I was able to sample a few other regional beers during this trip:
- Harpoon IPA, Boston, MA, in my hopping hotel bar, Precinct
- Green Monsta IPA, Wachusett Brewing Company, Westminster, MA, while killing time in the airport before my flight home.
- Grey Lady Ale, Cisco Brewers, Nantucket, MA, a Wheat Ale that I also drank at the airport before my flight