We traveled to Carlisle, Massachusetts for the holidays and I quickly made my way to Colonial Spirits in nearby Acton to load up on some regional brews that I can’t find at home in Maryland. I was looking for winter beers in particular and the selection was awesome.
During our Christmas vacation (December 23-29), I sampled:
- Geary’s Winter Ale, D.L. Geary Brewing Company, Portland, ME, a hearty IPA
- Prelude Ale, Shipyard Brewing Company, Portland, ME, a tasty English Strong Ale
- Holidale, Berkshire Brewing Company, South Deerfield, MA, a strong Barleywine in a 22 oz bomber
- Bock Lager, Rock Art Brewery, Morrisville, VT, a bomber of rich creamy Bock
- Winter Ale, Wachusett Brewing Company, Westminster, MA, an excellent English Strong Ale
- Christmas Ale, Gritty McDuff’s, Portland, ME, a robust ESB that was my favorite of the lot
- Ipswich Winter Ale, Mercury Brewing Company, Ipswich, MA, a decent English Strong Ale
I also found the Survival Pack from Long Trail Brewing Company in Bridgewater Corners, Vermont. This mixed 12 pack had three bottles of four different beers:
- Long Trail Ale, the brewery’s flagship beer; an Altbier
- Blackberry Wheat, a refreshing fruit beer
- Traditional IPA, a balanced and drinkable IPA
- Hibernator, Long Trail’s winter seasonal; a strong Scottish Ale
I’m a big fan of Long Trail beers, and Long Trail is high on my list of breweries that I want to visit.
After having my fill of winter beers from the Mid-Atlantic breweries, it was fun to sample some different brews.