Part 8: Lost Rhino Brewing Company, Ashburn, Virginia
When Visited: January 11, 2014
Occasion: The 28th annual Washington RV Expo at the Dulles Expo Center – I’m a pop-up owner who loves to dream about upgrading to a bigger RV. But after a couple of hours walking the RV expo floor, I was ready for a beer! This was my third consecutive year going to the RV show, and the third year in a row I stopped at Lost Rhino Brewing Company on the way home.
Beers Sampled: Lost Rhino offers 5 oz pours, and since I had two growlers to fill and didn’t know what I wanted to take home, I took a tour through the beer menu.
I sampled the:
- Rhino Chasers Pilsner, a crisp and refreshing golden Lager (5.6%)
- New River Pale Ale, a hoppy American-style Pale Ale (5.4%)
- Face Plant IPA, a delicious American-style IPA (6.2%)
- Apocalyptic, a Belgian-style Golden Strong Ale (9.0%)
- Steampunk, an easy-drinking unfiltered Amber Lager (4.5%)
- Santa’s Package, a Spiced Rye Brown Ale (5.5%)
- Tmavy Lager, a Dark Czech Lager (6.2%)
- Meridan Kölsch, a light German-style ale (5.0%)
I Filled my Growlers with: The sessionable Steampunk and the smooth and malty Tmavy Lager.
The food is great too – Lost Rhino’s Famous BBQ Chicken Nachos, topped with Face Plant IPA queso, are worth the trek to Ashburn.